Monday 9 April 2012

Spring Today Gone Tomorrow

It has been a while since my last outpouring of bonkerdom.  Fuelled by cookies and decaffeinated tea here's a brief update. 

We had a week of beautiful blissful sunshine.  It was followed by a week of snow, frost and the cold kind of wind that gives you a freshly slapped look and chapped lips.  It was decidedly glorious and the Scots descended upon the green belts with ghost white nobbly knees in their hundreds.  Within twenty four hours of the last whiffs of barbecued sausages fading from consciousness the temperature plummeted some twenty degrees.  I discovered that after only a week of not wearing my winter coat that I could no longer get the bottom buttons done up.  I'm ready for it to be summer.  I bought tulips and belly friendly shorts (which had to go back to the shop because they didn't fit my expanding bum) and everything.
Oh well, it was nice while it lasted (which was about as long as the tulips did).  That was probably it for the Scottish Summer.  It was a blink and you've missed it kind of affair. 

We're now at 14 weeks to go and there's no missing this belly now.

When munchkin has her party time in the evening my whole belly rocks out with her.  It's very bizarre: a bit like something out of Aliens if I'm honest.  It's still the weirdest sensation and it's very distracting when there's a massive burst of movement from her during the working day. 

I hate to say it but work is largely the reason for my lack of posting recently.  This week was supposed to be MC and I's last weeks' holiday together before munchkin is due but instead I'm going on a training course for a couple of days to help facilitate the speedy resolution of the current project.  MC is going to work on the nursery while I'm away as he's not keen on my being present for the paint fumes anyway.  I'll be back home in time for a long weekend with him before going all out for the next 8 weeks or so at work.  The one positive is that, all going well and to schedule, I should be able to start taking a step back from work from the beginning of June.  Indeed, with extra holidays and overtime I may even be able to finish up a bit earlier than I'd originally planned.  Watch this space.

For now I'm sticking to my guns with plans to work up to week 38 but I have to admit my confidence is shaky skates on thin ice.  We got news last weekend that MC's cousin and partner just had their second baby very early.  Out of four couples we know who have had babies in the last year, three have gone more than three weeks early.  I'm a little afraid of being massively unprepared should munchkin decide to grace us with her presence early.  On the one hand I'm happy to be busy at work because the days pass quickly, I sleep like the dead, and I don't get much chance to lament the aches and pains, but there's this part of my brain that's rightly concerned that all the extra effort required to keep my head above water at work may make me miss something vitally important that needs done at home.  On that note it's time to start making some To Do lists outside of the office. 

So, this week my extra workcular jobs include writing the birth intentions down and to find something suitable to wear to my friend's wedding next month.  I was thinking something like this might be appropriate...
Don't judge, there's a greater choice of two man tents available (in nicer colours and at better prices) than there are wedding appropriate maternity dresses.  Besides, with the Scottish Summer been and gone, it may be the tent's only outing this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment